Monday, May 19, 2014

#8 - The One Where My Whole Family Sleeps


It was a lazy Sunday afternoon. I already spent way too much time inside my room and realized I have neglected my family for almost the whole weekend. I was strange like that. I could stay inside my room and read books forever, disjointed from the world. Looking back at it now, I am still happy how the books I have read has enriched my life. But I wish I spent more time with my family even if they were not doing anything. Even if it was just sleeping.

When I went downstairs, my parents' "light of their hearts" daughter (which is my little sister who used to be such a chatterbox when she was younger) were discussing some trivial matter, the details of which eludes me now. They were piled up on a twin-sized bed, just lounging around and chatting without much purpose. I remember still holding a book, pulling up a chair and sitting beside the bed (because there was certainly no space for me there). I was there, but I was not there because I was lost in a book. It was some time when I noticed the silence --- it was the quiet before the storm.

In my family, we are all snorers. So you can imagine the colorful symphony my three family members made that drowsy afternoon. My first thought was to go upstairs, back to my own bed where the music of their naptime won't bother my reading. But I had one of those moments I call "angel moments" where something taps you on your brain and tells you to pay attention. And I am glad I did.

10 years since then, and it is still my favorite memory of my family. I would have taken a photo, but back then, cameras were a fussy thing not found on cellphones. So I imprinted it on my mind instead. I remember thinking how lucky I am, truly. I have outstanding parents who have given me nothing but love. I have a sister who clearly adores me even if she is a pain in the neck some (most) times. But we were together, and I could not be richer and more satisfied.

I also remember thinking, someday I will lose this. And it just made me imprint the moment more desperately.

And now thinking about it, I am realizing that moment is a definitive one in my history. I am so affected by it that I can still paint it if I needed to. But there never was a need to. All I have to do is close my eyes and the image is there. Perhaps, why it affects me so much means something. Perhaps, my favorite moment on earth is trying to tell me that my purpose in life may be hidden locked in that moment and I just need to decode it.

If I could build a family as beautiful as the one in my memory, perhaps my purpose in life will be achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment